Last Prisoner Project
The Last Prisoner Project is a nonprofit organization dedicated to cannabis criminal justice reform. It was founded out of the belief that if someone is able to profit and build wealth in the legal cannabis industry, they should also work to release and rebuild the lives of those who are currently in prison for cannabis criminalization. No one should remain incarcerated and continue to endure the collateral consequences of the unrightful prohibition and the War on Drugs.
- In 2017 alone, nearly 600,00 people were arrested for cannabis crimes. The same year, the worldwide marijuana trade grew by 37% and was worth 9.5 billion (source here).
- $47 billion is spent annually on the war on drugs.
- 599,282 people have been arrested for cannabis violations in the U.S for possession alone.
- Despite widespread legal marijuana reform, cannabis arrests are increasing in several states.
- 15.7 million people have been arrested for marijuana offenses in the last two decades.
- $10.4 billion has been made in legal marijuana sales in 2018 in the US.